Nursing Fundamentals

Nursing Fundamentals is an inherently honors course for students who wish to obtain a Certificate in Nurse Assisting (CNA) which is required for most collegiate nursing programs in North Carolina and it allows you to be hired as nursing assistants in NC and most states in the nation. Pre-requisites include Health Sciences 1 and 2. An admission rubric approved by the Buncombe County Schools is given to all Health Sciences students to assure all students an equal opportunity to advance to this level provided they meet all requirements. Quizzes and tests count 70% of your grade with homework assignments taking up the remaining 30%. Test grades of a 75 must be maintained at all times, and 40 clinical hours at a local facility must be met to sit for the NNAAP test given at the end of the course.

Participation in Healthcare Careers Club is a great opportunity to take several field trips each year to enhance the student direction toward career and college readiness.

Prevent Blindness North Carolina certifies each student in Vision Screening to participate in middle school mass screenings. 

Upon graduation, students could potentially have certification as a CNA, Healthcare Provider CPR and AED, First Aid, Stop the Bleed and Vision Screening.

Below are Spring 2020 CNA students, congratulations to them, they completed their testing in July!
Spring 2020 CNA's

Field Trips through our Healthcare Career Club:

Dome     Hopkins

Fairfax Inova Hospital Dome watching   Touring the simulation lab at Johns Hopkins 
Open Heart Surgery.   Hospital